This Panaeolus is common in the grass and looks fairly boring, but—in this case—looks deceive....
In some parts of the U.S., P. foenisecii contains psilocybin, the same pyschoactive agent found in magic mushrooms. There is some evidence that P. foenisecii may be hallucinogenic.
A number of cases have been reported involving children eating P. foenisecii and apparently having hallucinations. Mushroom poisoning expert Marilyn Shaw reports one case in which a man was mowing his lawn in Denver and found his child with "mushrooms around her mouth." Her mother said the little girl was later "banging her head" and holding her head and was frightened of both her parents. The kid was not acting as if she had a stomach ache. At the hospital in the middle of the night, Marilyn identified the mushrooms as P. foenisecii, and the doctor administered a tranquilizer. In another case, a child at a summer camp ate about 30 mushrooms, and the counselor believed she was later hallucinating.
As far as adults go, we’ve had friends who’ve eaten between 5 and 25 specimens of this mushroom, they’ve either felt nothing or, as one friend told us, the psychoactive effect “made his day.”
If your pet starts acting like it's tripping, you might think about P. foenisecii. One dog owner told Marilyn Shaw that his dog seemed to be hallucinating, as it was frightened and cowering under the furniture for three days. And, sure enough, P. foenisecii grew profusely in the yard. Marilyn told the man that, for human beings, the treatment would be reassurance and a tranquilizer, if necessary. This worked for, and Marilyn became a hero of the Capitol Hill Animal Clinic.
DISCLAIMER: Do not eat any mushroom based solely on the content of this website, which is for informational purposes only. You are responsible for making sure you are 100% positive of a mushroom’s identity before consuming it. You must make sure of this yourself.